My mom has a habit of letting me know about every possible danger in the world. I get frequent emails regarding the things in my house that may kill me. Though I know it is coming from a good place and I should welcome the knowledge that could change my current habits for the better, it can be pretty annoying. Recently, I was showing her some plates that I was contemplating purchasing for my home and she said they were nice, but that there's been a shipment of toxic yellow dye and I should stay away from all things yellow right now.
. . . . . . . Noted.
Over the past few years, I've received many an email / voicemail about the toxins emitted from paraffin candles (the most common candle in existence). Most people know this by now, but they release carcinogenic fumes and create indoor air pollution. This was one warning I did heed and now I've switched over entirely to soy + beeswax.
There was a point between the 6th & 8th grade where I was obsessed with candles. It was all things Bath & Body Works and candles in "cool" shapes. It was a weird time for 12 year olds. I went a solid 10 to 15 years without caring about them at all and now I'm back on the wagon. My home feels warmer and more inviting with a candle burning and a scent that's not too overpowering.
I realize that scents are very personal so my favorites may not be yours, but here are my recommendations for clean-burning soy candles for your home:
Soy candles burn cleanly and last longer. Beeswax candles do the same while also being beneficial to those of us with allergies and environmental sensitivity - so I encourage you to make the switch if you haven't already. I can have my mom leave you a 3 minute voicemail on why you should do it.